Thursday, January 21, 2010

A few initial thoughts

Merging food and travel is a great pleasure, and I'd like to share some of my travel and eating philosophy.

There's a limit to how much I should eat (I'm not sure there's a limit to how much I could eat), so I focus on local specialties whenever I can. Unless there's a food emergency, I never, ever visit an American chain I already know in another country, or even another city I'm exploring in the US. I'm actually a big fan of chains, but I don't consider that "travel".

Lunch is a great way to leverage the experience and save some money in the process. In many places, the lunch menu and the dinner menu are the same, but lots of downtowns compete by offering lunch specials that are local, delicious, and really cheap, sometimes a fraction of their price a few hours later.

At any restaurant, I try to order food that takes a long time to make, or uses ingredients I don't use at home, or requires a lot of work that I wouldn't do in my own kitchen.

When I'm traveling abroad, I never order a meal that's billed as American (and that rule often means that I don't order burgers) because they're never what you hope they'll be. I also try not to ask the server to change anything to make the meal more familiar to me. They'll ruin it. It won't even be as good as the standard meal that they were planning to serve you.

There's more, but I'll get to it as it comes up.

1 comment:

  1. Well I think we knew about this blog a while back but if I don't "Post it note it" right away, most information seems to just hit the highway.
    Now I have to start at the front and work my way thru. Fine since the boat will not be going anywhere right away, I have time.

    Loyal friend and reader

    ReplyDelete