Sunday, August 1, 2010

Rushing through a cuisine? Opt for a two-fer

It's always fun to see a regional dish interpreted by a local chef. So I enjoyed seeing "bubble and squeak" (a stew traditionally made of Sunday roast leftovers) in Shetland, made with lamb instead of beef, and fish and chips made with haggis instead of haddock.

International foods are widely interpreted into Scottish Gaelic as well. In Oban, we visited an Italian restaurant with an all-seafood menu, and more fish in the kitchen than live in the entire Adriatic Sea. And my starter (don't call it an appetizer) at a waterfront bistro nearby was Indian pakora, made with haggis.



Truth to tell, pakora is mostly spices and fried batter, so the haggis taste was relegated to the background. But all of this chef experimentation makes for lots of variety on menus. Though I've been in this same area for about five or six weeks, the cuisine continues to surprise and enchant me.

2 comments:

  1. How long will you be in Scotland? I like your posts but I'm anxious for you to get to the Mediterranean.
    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya. It's been rainy and sixty degrees just about every day since the end of May. I confess that I've thought wistfully about the hot and dry Med once or twice.
    I'm leaving Scotland this week, for Northern Ireland, and then Ireland. By the end of the season we'll be in England. Next year, the Med, probably by June.

    ReplyDelete